flyboy_fox: (Why me? e.x)
[personal profile] flyboy_fox
I had to make a very difficult decision this week, and the outcome is that I'm flying to the States on Tuesday. Talk about short notice! It's not ideal, but after long talks with everyone involved, it's the best solution for right now.

Basically, as you guys know, I had just started getting things in order for starting a life in America. I was going to go down to Florida to finally meet my sister and one of my brothers for the first time, hopefully form a relationship with that side of my family at last, and that maybe they'd be willing to sponsor me for citizenship. Getting in touch with them for the first time was amazing, and I don't want to lose touch again so soon.

Also, some really amazing chances have come up with Jei's family, too. Her uncle has recently started a newspaper company in Florida which is rapidly expanding and doing very well, setting up papers for localities. He's hiring, and I could potentially get a work visa through him if he thinks my editorial/proofreading/journalistic skills are up to par. I really don't want to miss this opportunity.

Finally, I really need to visit those nursing schools ASAP if there's any chance of signing up for the Spring semester or even the Fall one.

Now, these things alone, as pressing as they may be, would not be enough to take me away from my mum right now... however, a mitigating factor has come into play in the form of her appointment in London being delayed. This means that her operation and follow-up treatment are also delayed.

In short, my mum very much wants me to go to America and sort my life out, whilst being on call to return at any time. As it stands, I have my flight back booked for late September as a buffer, but will most likely return immediately after the cruise to be home in time for her first chemo session.

Sadly, the changed dates mean that her surgery will probably happen while I am on the cruise, but she refuses to let me cancel the cruise because it was $2,000 from Jei's family for me to go and it's her graduation gift... I HATE the timing, but my mum will at least have my brother and her good friends Alison and Marion. She'll probably be staying with them in London anyway for a week or so after surgery and so I wouldn't be there... but still.... augh.

However, a small positive is that I was finally able to convince my mum to spend some money on herself(!) and she got a brand new laptop with better specs even than mine! Now she'll be able to Skype me any time while I'm abroad. Right now she's playing an Agatha Christie murder mystery game on it XD I love my mum.

So, yeah, that's that. It's going to be so hard to leave her right now, but she wants this so much for me... and I can come back at any time (except the 10 days I'm on the cruise :\) if she needs me. I will see her through her chemo and radio. It will be okay. It's just stressful, trying to sort my life out and make the most of these immediate opportunities whilst also just wanting to be right here by my mum's side.

The best I can do is really make the most of the chances I have, make my mum really proud, and then hurry home before she starts having the treatment. I can make this work. I love my mum and I won't abandon her, no matter what else is going on in my life. Thank you, mum, for being so amazing and selfless and wonderful. I will make you proud and I will be back in time to be by your side through this.

Date: 2011-07-17 12:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I'm glad this opportunity has come up for you and I hope it turns out well. The timing sucks, though. I know it may be hard, but go have fun on the cruise.

Date: 2011-07-17 12:42 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Thank you for the support. I hate that the timing worked out this way, but I guess at least maybe the cruise and time with Jei and her family will refresh and reinvigorate me so that when I come home I'll be ready to take on whatever challenges the next few months may bring (:

Date: 2011-07-17 06:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I know you wouldn't just hastily do something like this without thinking it through, so I have faith you're making the right decision. Good luck all the same. :)

Date: 2011-07-17 06:16 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Thank you, it's deeply appreciated (:


flyboy_fox: (Default)

December 2011

4 5678910
11121314 151617

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 26th, 2017 12:42 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios